It features an apochromatic (APO) characteristic that chromatic aberration at both ‘in-focus’ & ‘out-of-focus’ is both invisible. This new 100mm lens can cover full frame sensor size and focus from 2:1 magnification to infinity. The lens has a similar physical size to other 100mm Macro lenses in the market but its wider magnification range allows macro photographers to capture subjects at any sizes. This Laowa RF 100mm f/2.8 lens can also focus to infinity and serve as a portrait lens with exceptional optics quality.
Dustin Abbott posted his exhaustive Laowa RF 100mm F2.8 APO 2:1 Macro review. His conclusion is :
In conclusion, I’m more positive than ever about the Laowa 100mm F2.8 APO 2:1 Macro in the Canon RF mount. It has the same flaws as before (too short of focus throw, being flare prone), but using the lens on mirrorless really mitigates some of its other shortcomings (manual focus only, no image stabilization) and I’m left with a lens that is generally fun to use and easy to focus. The punchy colors and images in general remind me of much more expensive APO lenses. When used to its strengths, images from this lens really pop.
And, as a macro lens, it’s additional degree of magnification allows you to do things that lesser lenses cannot. It unlocks an extra level of creativity, and that Apochromatic design allows you to shoot shiny metal textures without fear of chromatic aberrations destroying the image.
[…] This remains as one of Laowa’s best value lenses, and is certainly a blast to use on a good mirrorless body.
Dustin Abbott’s reviews come with several sample images, comparison charts, and all the information you might want to know about the lens. He also releases a complete video review which you can see below.
Laowa RF 100mm F2.8 APO 2:1 Macro Lens at a glance
- RF-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22
- Two Low Dispersion Elements
- Maximum Magnification: 2:1
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 9.7″
- Manual Focus Design
- 13-Blade Diaphragm
Venus Optics Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra Macro Lens Overview
Characterized by its close-focusing capabilities and apochromatic design, the Canon RF-mount Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO from Venus Optics is a unique and versatile short-telephoto prime. Featuring a pair of low dispersion elements, color fringing and chromatic aberrations have been virtually eliminated throughout the focusing range in order to achieve high clarity and color accuracy. The lens’s manual focus design also suits its macro capabilities, which permit working with subjects as close as 2:1 with a minimum focusing distance of 9.7″. Additionally, a 13-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
- Telephoto prime is designed for full-frame Canon RF-mount mirrorless cameras.
- Featuring an apochromatic designation, this lens uses a pair of low dispersion elements to effectively eliminate chromatic aberrations and color fringing for greater clarity and accurate rendering.
- Greater-than-life-size 2:1 maximum magnification pairs with a 9.7″ minimum focusing distance to suit working with close-up subjects.
- Manual focus design, along with focus distance and depth of field scales, aids in precise focusing control.
- A 13-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.