Here is a Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens review from one of the favorite reviewers. Dustin Abbott posted his in-depth Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens review. As usual the review comes with a huge set of sample pictures, comparison charts, and all the information you might want to know.
The RF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM is the world’s first AF macro lens with an incredible 1.4x close up magnification for superb images. With L-series optical and build quality, the RF 100 macro delivers outstanding image quality and high-grade image stabilization and autofocus performance from a well-constructed, weather-sealed package.
Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens Review
From his conclusion of Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens review :
The Canon RF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM is a (mostly) excellent upgrade to the outstanding Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS. It gives higher magnification, better resolution, and faster, quieter autofocus. The improvement to the 1.4x magnification is always welcome, as when you are doing macro work you want as much flexibility as possible.
There are a couple of misses here. The focus shift issue will impact image sharpness in some situations, and I feel like the SA Control feature is largely going to be a gimmick for most users. There’s also the reality that the lens has grown a fair bit in size relative to the EF version. It’s also the best macro option available on RF right now, and the images that it produces are genuinely gorgeous. Rich color, excellent contrast, and fabulous detail regardless of your distance to the subject.
Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens Review – Videos
Dustin Abbott provides a comprehensive video-review (below, short version first, long version second).
Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens Key Featurtes
Engineered specifically for full-frame EOS R-series cameras, the RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens from Canon combines a medium-telephoto field of view with a sleek design and close-focusing performance. Designed for close-up imagery, this autofocus lens is an ideal choice for portraits and macro subjects. Featuring a fixed 100mm focal length, a bright f/2.8 maximum aperture, fast, highly-precise autofocus, and a spherical aberration control ring, this lens elevates the look of portraits and macro shots and gives you the ability to create dreamlike and romantic images with a soft focus look. Its close focus design enables working with subject matter as close as 10.2″ away, and a Super Spectra coating minimizes ghosting and flare when working in strong lighting conditions. The lens also features optical image stabilization, along with Hybrid IS, to suppress up to five stops of camera shake for cleaner, steadier shooting, and imagemakers can expect to see stunning results that enhance their creative and artistic vision.
- Medium telephoto macro lens with a maximum magnification of 1.4x
- High image quality and bright f/2.8 aperture
- Optical Image Stabilizer with up to 5 stops of shake correction
- Up to 8 stops of shake correction with coordinated Optical Image Stabilizer and In-Body Image Stabilizer
- Hybrid IS system compensates for angular and shift camera shake during macro shooting
- Super Spectra coating to minimize ghosting and flare when working in strong lighting conditions
- Spherical Aberration Control Ring allows for adjustments to shape and character of foreground and background bokeh
- High speed, smooth, and quiet auto focus with Dual Nano USM
- Control ring for direct setting changes
- Sealed against dust and moisture for working in inclement environmental conditions
- Optional rotating tripod collar is available and benefits working with the lens atop a tripod or monopod
Join the Canon Camera Users Group to share your Canon photography. Ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!