Canon’s new RF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM lens is the company’s first RF-mount lens designed for close-up photography. The optical image stabilisation (IS) system provides up to 8-stops on the 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens when used with the Canon EOS R5 or R6 and the in-body image stabilisation. The Macro lens also offers up to 1.4x magnification, which Canon say is a Worlds first for an AF macro lens on full-frame cameras.
RF 100mm f/2.8L MACRO IS USM
The lens has 17 elements in 13 groups, and uses a Super Spectra coating to reduce flare and ghosting. The lens’ autofocus system is powered by ‘Dual Nano USM’: two Nano USM linear motors ensure quick and silent focus, which afford a significant improvement over the ring-type USM drive found in the previous 100mm Macro. The lens also has a control ring for adjusting settings such as ISO and Exposure Compensation, and is threaded for 67mm filters.
- Worlds first AF macro lens with an incredible 1.4x magnification (1.4:1) capability [iii – with AF, for full-frame mirrorless]
- A variable Spherical Aberration Control ring can be used to adjust the subject softness and look of the Bokeh
- f/2.8 maximum aperture gives a shallow depth of field
- 9-blade circular aperture creates beautiful out of focus highlights (bokeh)
- Up to 5-stops optical IS (CIPA standard, using an EOS R) and up to 8-stops Combined IS using EOS R5 / EOS R6, with their in-body image stabiliser system
- Dual nano USM motors for smooth and fast AF
Join the Canon Camera Users Group to share your Canon photography. Ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!