“Highly Recommended – an inexpensive ‘Nifty Fifty’ that delivers on quality and ease of use.”
From ePhotozine conclusion:
The standard 50mm lens, long neglected, has more recently seen a resurgence in popularity. It is easy to see why – relatively low cost, fast, bright maximum apertures, fast focusing, the lens that can be taken anywhere no matter how low the lighting and the one that delivers the goods.
Although, ideally, it would have been good to have weather resistance and the lens hood included as standard, let’s not be churlish as the lens remains excellent value for money and performs very well overall. To many zoom orientated photographers the fast 50mm can be something of a revelation.
Canon RF 50mm F/1.8 STM Pros
- Sharp, especially centrally
- Low central CA
- Modest vignetting
- No distortion
- Fast, accurate and quiet focusing
- Good flare resistance
- Close focusing
- Well priced
Canon RF 50mm F/1.8 STM Cons
- No AF/MF switch
- No lens hood supplied as standard
- Sharpness falls off at edges at small apertures
- Some edge CA
- No weather resistance
Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM at a glance
Compact, lightweight, and close-focusing, the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM from an essential lens, the Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM is a sleek normal-length prime offering a classic, versatile field of view and an especially compact design. An ideal lens for every day, walkaround shooting, this 50mm f/1.8 is characterized by its bright design for available light shooting and apt depth of field control. The optical design incorporates one aspherical element, which reduces spherical aberrations and distortion, and also sports a Super Spectra coating to minimize flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy. Also, an STM motor affords impressively quiet and smooth autofocus performance and full-time manual focus override. Additionally, a configurable Control Ring lets you adjust exposure settings, including ISO, aperture, and exposure compensation, from the lens itself.
- Normal-length prime is designed for use with full-frame Canon RF-mount mirrorless digital cameras.
- Bright f/1.8 maximum aperture suits working in difficult lighting conditions and also offers increased control over depth of field.
- One precision-molded (PMo) aspherical element suppresses spherical aberrations and distortion for high sharpness and accurate subject rendering.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to minimize ghosting and flare for greater contrast and color neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- STM stepping motor offers fast, quiet, smooth, and accurate autofocus performance that is ideal for video recording as well as still shooting.
- Configurable Control Ring can be used to adjust a variety of exposure settings, including aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
Join the Canon Camera Users Group to share your Canon photography, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!