ePhotozine posted their full Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS review. They gave the Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS a 4.5/5 rating and “Highly Recommended”. More details about the Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS Review can be found below.
From ePhotozine conclusion:
Canon RF users are being treated here with a super lens, with real pulling power to bring in those more distant subjects, plus the bonus of having an impressive close-up ability. And all at a highly competitive price. If only there was weather resistance then it really would be hard to beat.
Lenses that go beyond 300mm have always had a serious price penalty, but it does look as though this is now breaking down and bringing that 400mm reach more within a reasonable budget.
For the Canon RF user, this lens looks to be a bit of a no-brainer, with most of the right features, the right quality and the right price. ‘Highly Recommended’.
Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM Overview
A versatile telephoto-zoom with a portable form factor, the Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-8 IS USM is a nimble lens perfect for wildlife, sports, and travel shooting. With extended range, this zoom packs super-telephoto reach into a relatively sleek, lightweight design along with support for Coordinated IS to help control up to 6 stops of camera shake and Nano USM AF to promote faster focusing performance.
Optically, the lens uses specialized elements to control a variety of aberrations and produce images with high sharpness and clarity throughout the zoom range. Close-focusing performance is also possible, with a maximum magnification of 0.41x at the 400mm position, for close-up shooting of subjects as small as a credit card.
- Long-reaching telephoto zoom lens is designed for use with full-frame Canon RF-mount mirrorless cameras.
- Modest f/5.6-8 maximum aperture range promotes a relatively compact, lightweight form factor.
- One Ultra Low Dispersion element is featured toward the front of the optical design and helps to reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing throughout the zoom range.
- One aspherical element helps control distortion and promotes a high degree of sharpness.
- Super Spectra Coating has been applied to minimize flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color fidelity when working in strong lighting conditions.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by 5.5 stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds. Also, when working with select cameras, up to 6 stops of stabilization may be available with the Coordinated Optical Image Stabilizer and In-Body Image Stabilizer.
- Nano USM system utilizes both a ring type USM and an STM mechanism to realize quick and accurate focusing that is also smooth and near silent to suit both photography and video applications. This focusing system also affords full-time manual focus control when working in the one-shot AF mode.
- Close focusing capabilities are available throughout the zoom range, with a maximum magnification of 0.41x available at the 400mm position and a minimum focusing distance of 2.9′ possible at the 200mm position.
- Rounded 9-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
- Configurable Control Ring can be used to adjust a variety of exposure settings, including aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation.
- Compatible with optional Extender RF 1.4x and Extender RF 2x teleconverters to further increase the effective focal length.